Bacchus
LINE

Bordeaux Chateau Stories · 1855 Classification

なぜ格付け表の名前は、分割前のままなのか——シャトー・オー・バタイイ

Watercolor illustration of a vineyard path dividing toward two distant estates

シャトー・オー・バタイイという名前は、1855年のメドック格付け表のどこにも載っていない。載っているのは「シャトー・バタイイ」という、分割される前の一つの名前だけだ。今のオー・バタイイは、その名前が二つに分かれたあとに生まれた片割れである。

「バタイイ(Batailley)」という名前自体、フランス語で「戦い」を意味する「バタイユ(bataille)」に由来する。地所に伝わるところでは、1453年、百年戦争の終結期にあたるこの年、実際にフランス軍とイングランド軍がこの土地で戦ったという。バタイユの名を継いだこの地所は、格付けを経てなお一度も分かれることなく20世紀に入り、そして初めて二つに割れた。なぜ名は一つのまま格付け表に残り、地所は二つに分かれたのか。オー・バタイイの物語は、そのねじれを解きほぐすところから始まる。

項目内容
正式名称シャトー・オー・バタイイ(Château Haut-Batailley)
村・地区ポイヤック(メドック)、ポイヤックAOC最南部
1855年格付け第5級(分割前のシャトー・バタイイとして記載)
現在の所有2017年以降カーズ家(シャトー・ランシュ・バージュ所有家系)
前所有1930年代からデ・ブレスト=ボリー家(フランソワ=グザヴィエ・ボリー氏によるフェルマージュ経営)
セカンドワインオー・バタイイ・ヴェルソ(Haut-Batailley Verso)
節目の年1855(分割前バタイイが第5級)/1924(マルセル&フランシス・ボリー兄弟が共同取得)/1941/42(公式間で食い違い、二系統へ分岐)/1930年代〜2017(デ・ブレスト=ボリー家によるフェルマージュ経営)/2017(カーズ家取得)/2018(テロワール調査・大規模植え替え開始)

一つの地所に、一つの格付け

分割前の地所には、17世紀からすでにブドウが植えられていた。18世紀にはポイヤック出身のサンマルタン家の3兄妹がこの土地を所有し、1791年、そのうち2人の姉妹がボルドーのワイン商人ギヨーム・ペショリエへ持分を売却する。1816年、今度はダニエル・ゲスティエ(バートン&ゲスティエ)がこの地所を購入し、葡萄園を拡張した。1847年に息子が後を継ぐ。1855年、この地所は第5級に記載される――格付けが評価したのは、まだ分かれていない、一つの地所だった。

転機は1924年に訪れる。マルセル・ボリーとフランシス・ボリーの兄弟が、この地所をともに取得した。だが兄弟の共同所有は長くは続かなかった。1940年代初頭、地所は二つに割れ、その一方がのちのオー・バタイイとなった――どちらの兄弟がどちらを継いだかは、両家の公式記録でも明示されていない。分割の年について、バタイイ側の記録は1941年とし、オー・バタイイ側の記録は1942年とする。どちらの年が正しいのか、双方の公式記録は今も一致していない。だがどちらの年であれ、確かなのはこの一点だ――格付け表に刻まれた「バタイイ」という名前は、分かれる前の一軒だけのものだったということである。

フェルマージュで守られた80年、そして隣人がやってきた2017年

分割後のオー・バタイイは、1930年代からデ・ブレスト=ボリー家の手に渡り、フランソワ=グザヴィエ・ボリー氏がフェルマージュ、つまり賃貸借契約による経営でこの地所を守り続けた。この体制は、実に80年近く続くことになる。

その歴史が動いたのは2017年だ。同じポイヤックでシャトー・ランシュ・バージュを所有するカーズ家が、ロスチャイルド銀行の仲介のもとオー・バタイイを取得した。売却するボリー氏は「この継承がカーズ家との間で実現することを嬉しく思う」と述べたと伝えられる。一方でカーズ家のジャン=シャルル・カーズ氏は、この取得を「ポイヤックでの足場を強化するもの」としながらも、「ランシュ・バージュとは別個のプロジェクトであり続ける」と明言した。取得後のオー・バタイイは、ランシュ・バージュに吸収されることなく、専任の技術チームによって独立して運営されている。

葡萄園はポイヤックAOCの最南部、ガロンヌ川由来の深い砂利質土壌の上に広がる。取得当時の植栽面積は22ヘクタール(カベルネ・ソーヴィニヨン70%、メルロー25%、カベルネ・フラン5%)。だが総面積40ヘクタールのうち、実に19ヘクタールがフィロキセラ後の休耕地のまま残されていた――しかもAOCポイヤックの植栽権つきで。2018年、カーズ家はこの地所のテロワール調査を行い、その結果を踏まえて大規模な植え替え計画へ着手する。地所の入口に立つ「トゥール・ド・ラスピック」と呼ばれる塔は、その葡萄園を今も見守っている。

知っておくと語れる3つ

  • 「バタイイ」という名前の由来は、本当に戦場だった。 1453年、百年戦争終結期にこの土地でフランス軍とイングランド軍が戦ったと伝えられ、その戦い(バタイユ)がそのまま地所の名になった。
  • 格付け表に載っているのは、まだ一軒だったころの名前である。 1855年の第5級記載は分割前の地所に対するものであり、1940年代初頭に地所が二つに分かれ、その一方がのちのオー・バタイイとなったのは、そのあとの出来事だ。
  • 2017年に来た新しい所有者は、吸収ではなく独立運営を選んだ。 シャトー・ランシュ・バージュのカーズ家がオー・バタイイを取得しながらも「別個のプロジェクトであり続ける」と明言し、独立した技術チームでの運営を選んだ。

Why Does the Name on the Classification Remain from Before the Split? — Château Haut-Batailley

Watercolor illustration of a vineyard path dividing toward two distant estates

The name Château Haut-Batailley appears nowhere in the 1855 Médoc classification. What appears there is only “Château Batailley” — the single, undivided name that existed before the split. Today’s Haut-Batailley was born as one half of that name after it was later divided in two.

The name “Batailley” itself derives from the French word bataille, meaning “battle.” According to the estate’s own account, in 1453 — the year marking the end of the Hundred Years’ War — French and English forces are said to have actually fought on this land. The estate that inherited the name of that battle entered the twentieth century without ever having divided, even after the classification, and only then split into two for the first time. Why did the name remain singular on the classification while the estate itself split in two? The story of Haut-Batailley begins by untangling that twist.

ItemDetails
Official nameChâteau Haut-Batailley
Commune / districtPauillac (Médoc), the southernmost part of the Pauillac AOC
1855 ClassificationFifth Growth (listed as the undivided Château Batailley)
Current ownershipThe Cazes family (also owners of Château Lynch-Bages) since 2017
Previous ownershipThe Des Brest-Borie family from the 1930s (managed under a fermage lease by François-Xavier Borie)
Second wineHaut-Batailley Verso
Milestones1855 (the undivided Batailley classified as Fifth Growth) / 1924 (brothers Marcel and Francis Borie jointly acquire the estate) / 1941/42 (official records diverge, marking the split into two lines) / 1930s–2017 (managed under fermage lease by the Des Brest-Borie family) / 2017 (acquisition by the Cazes family) / 2018 (terroir survey and large-scale replanting begins)

One Estate, One Classification

Vines had already been planted on the undivided estate as early as the seventeenth century. In the eighteenth century, three siblings of the Saint-Martin family, natives of Pauillac, owned the land, and in 1791 two of the sisters sold their share to the Bordeaux wine merchant Guillaume Pécholier. In 1816, Daniel Guestier (Barton & Guestier) purchased the estate and expanded the vineyard. His son succeeded him in 1847. In 1855, the estate was listed as a Fifth Growth — what the classification evaluated was a single estate, not yet divided.

The turning point came in 1924. Brothers Marcel Borie and Francis Borie jointly acquired the estate. But the brothers’ joint ownership did not last long. In the early 1940s, the estate split in two, and one half became today’s Haut-Batailley — which brother inherited which half is not specified in either family’s official records. As for the year of the split, Batailley’s records give 1941, while Haut-Batailley’s records give 1942. Which year is correct remains unresolved between the two official records to this day. But whichever year it was, one thing is certain: the name “Batailley” engraved on the classification belonged only to the single estate that existed before the split.

Eighty Years Under a Fermage Lease, and the Arrival of a Neighbor in 2017

After the division, Haut-Batailley passed into the hands of the Des Brest-Borie family from the 1930s, and François-Xavier Borie continued to steward the estate under fermage — that is, a leasehold management arrangement. This arrangement would go on to last nearly eighty years.

That history shifted in 2017. The Cazes family, who also own Château Lynch-Bages in the same commune of Pauillac, acquired Haut-Batailley through the intermediation of Rothschild bank. Borie, who sold the estate, is said to have remarked that he was pleased this transition would take place with the Cazes family. Jean-Charles Cazes of the Cazes family, for his part, described the acquisition as “strengthening our footing in Pauillac,” while stating clearly that it “will remain a separate project from Lynch-Bages.” Since the acquisition, Haut-Batailley has not been absorbed into Lynch-Bages, and is instead run independently by a dedicated technical team.

The vineyard lies in the southernmost part of the Pauillac AOC, on deep gravel soils of Garonne origin. At the time of the acquisition, the planted area totaled 22 hectares (70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc). But of the estate’s total 40 hectares, as many as 19 hectares had been left fallow since phylloxera — complete with Pauillac AOC planting rights still attached. In 2018, the Cazes family conducted a terroir survey of the estate, and on the basis of its findings began a large-scale replanting program. A tower known as the “Tour l’Aspic,” standing at the entrance to the estate, still watches over the vineyard today.

Three Facts Worth Knowing

  • The name “Batailley” really does come from a battlefield. In 1453, at the close of the Hundred Years’ War, French and English forces are said to have fought on this land, and that battle (bataille) became the estate’s name as it stood.
  • What appears on the classification is the name from when the estate was still a single property. The 1855 Fifth Growth listing applies to the undivided estate; the estate’s split into two in the early 1940s, with one half becoming today’s Haut-Batailley, came afterward.
  • The new owner who arrived in 2017 chose independent operation over absorption. Even as the Cazes family of Château Lynch-Bages acquired Haut-Batailley, they stated clearly that it “will remain a separate project” and chose to run it with an independent technical team.

ทำไมชื่อในตารางการจัดอันดับจึงยังคงเป็นชื่อก่อนการแบ่งแยก — ชาโต โอ บาตายี

Watercolor illustration of a vineyard path dividing toward two distant estates

ชื่อ “ชาโต โอ บาตายี” (Château Haut-Batailley) ไม่ปรากฏอยู่ในตารางจัดอันดับเมด็อก (Médoc) ปี 1855 เลย สิ่งที่ปรากฏอยู่มีเพียง “ชาโต บาตายี” ชื่อเดียวที่ยังไม่ถูกแบ่งแยก โอ บาตายีในปัจจุบันถือกำเนิดขึ้นภายหลังจากที่ชื่อนี้ถูกแบ่งออกเป็นสองส่วน

ชื่อ “บาตายี (Batailley)” เองมีที่มาจากคำภาษาฝรั่งเศส “บาตาย (bataille)” ซึ่งแปลว่า “การรบ” ตามเรื่องเล่าที่สืบทอดกันมาในที่ดินแห่งนี้ ปี ค.ศ. 1453 ซึ่งตรงกับช่วงปลายสงครามร้อยปี กล่าวกันว่ากองทัพฝรั่งเศสและกองทัพอังกฤษได้เข้าปะทะกันจริงบนผืนดินแห่งนี้ ที่ดินซึ่งสืบทอดชื่อของการรบครั้งนั้นมา แม้ผ่านการจัดอันดับแล้วก็ยังไม่เคยถูกแบ่งแยกจนก้าวเข้าสู่ศตวรรษที่ 20 และเพิ่งแบ่งออกเป็นสองส่วนเป็นครั้งแรกในเวลาต่อมา เหตุใดชื่อจึงยังคงเป็นหนึ่งเดียวอยู่ในตารางจัดอันดับ ในขณะที่ที่ดินกลับถูกแบ่งออกเป็นสอง เรื่องราวของโอ บาตายีเริ่มต้นจากการคลี่คลายปมที่บิดเบี้ยวนี้

รายการรายละเอียด
ชื่อทางการชาโต โอ บาตายี (Château Haut-Batailley)
หมู่บ้าน/เขตโปยัค (Pauillac, เมด็อก) ทางใต้สุดของ AOC โปยัค
การจัดอันดับปี 1855ครูว์ที่ 5 (บันทึกในชื่อชาโต บาตายี ก่อนการแบ่งแยก)
การถือครองปัจจุบันตระกูลกาซ (เจ้าของชาโต แลงช์ บาจ) ตั้งแต่ปี 2017
การถือครองก่อนหน้าตระกูลเดส์ เบรสต์=โบรี ตั้งแต่ทศวรรษ 1930 (บริหารแบบเฟร์มาจ์โดยฟรองซัวส์=ซาวีเย โบรี)
ไวน์รองโอ บาตายี แวร์โซ (Haut-Batailley Verso)
ปีสำคัญ1855 (บาตายี ก่อนการแบ่งแยก ได้รับการจัดเป็นครูว์ที่ 5) / 1924 (พี่น้องมาร์แซล และฟรองซิส โบรี ร่วมกันซื้อกิจการ) / 1941/42 (บันทึกทางการของทั้งสองฝ่ายไม่ตรงกัน เป็นจุดแบ่งออกเป็นสองสาย) / ทศวรรษ 1930–2017 (บริหารแบบเฟร์มาจ์โดยตระกูลเดส์ เบรสต์=โบรี) / 2017 (ตระกูลกาซเข้าซื้อกิจการ) / 2018 (เริ่มสำรวจเทรัวร์และปลูกองุ่นใหม่ครั้งใหญ่)

ที่ดินหนึ่งแห่ง การจัดอันดับหนึ่งเดียว

ที่ดินก่อนการแบ่งแยกนี้มีการปลูกองุ่นมาตั้งแต่ศตวรรษที่ 17 แล้ว ในศตวรรษที่ 18 พี่น้องสามคนตระกูลแซ็ง-มาร์แต็ง (Saint-Martin) ซึ่งมีถิ่นกำเนิดในโปยัค เป็นเจ้าของที่ดินแห่งนี้ และในปี 1791 พี่น้องหญิงสองคนในจำนวนนั้นได้ขายส่วนแบ่งของตนให้แก่กีโยม เปโชลีเย (Guillaume Pécholier) พ่อค้าไวน์แห่งบอร์กโดซ์ ในปี 1816 คราวนี้ดาเนียล เกสตีเย (Daniel Guestier แห่งบาร์ตง แอนด์ เกสตีเย) ได้ซื้อที่ดินแห่งนี้และขยายไร่องุ่น บุตรชายของเขาสืบทอดกิจการต่อในปี 1847 ในปี 1855 ที่ดินแห่งนี้ถูกบันทึกเป็นครูว์ที่ 5 — สิ่งที่การจัดอันดับประเมินคือที่ดินหนึ่งแห่งที่ยังไม่ถูกแบ่งแยก

จุดเปลี่ยนมาถึงในปี 1924 พี่น้องมาร์แซล โบรี และฟรองซิส โบรี ได้ร่วมกันซื้อที่ดินแห่งนี้ แต่การถือครองร่วมกันของพี่น้องทั้งสองไม่ได้ดำเนินไปอย่างยาวนาน ในช่วงต้นทศวรรษ 1940 ที่ดินถูกแบ่งออกเป็นสองส่วน และส่วนหนึ่งกลายมาเป็นโอ บาตายีในเวลาต่อมา — ไม่มีการระบุอย่างชัดเจนแม้แต่ในบันทึกทางการของทั้งสองตระกูลว่าพี่น้องคนใดได้รับสืบทอดส่วนใด ส่วนปีที่แบ่งแยกนั้น บันทึกฝั่งบาตายีระบุว่าเป็นปี 1941 ขณะที่บันทึกฝั่งโอ บาตายีระบุว่าเป็นปี 1942 จนถึงทุกวันนี้บันทึกทางการของทั้งสองฝ่ายก็ยังไม่ตรงกันว่าปีใดถูกต้อง แต่ไม่ว่าจะเป็นปีใดก็ตาม สิ่งหนึ่งที่แน่นอนคือ ชื่อ “บาตายี” ที่จารึกอยู่ในตารางจัดอันดับนั้น เป็นของที่ดินเพียงแห่งเดียวก่อนการแบ่งแยกเท่านั้น

เฟร์มาจ์ที่ปกป้องมา 80 ปี และเพื่อนบ้านที่มาถึงในปี 2017

หลังการแบ่งแยก โอ บาตายีตกไปอยู่ในมือของตระกูลเดส์ เบรสต์=โบรีตั้งแต่ทศวรรษ 1930 โดยฟรองซัวส์=ซาวีเย โบรี ได้บริหารดูแลที่ดินแห่งนี้ด้วยระบบเฟร์มาจ์ (fermage) หรือการบริหารภายใต้สัญญาเช่า ระบบนี้ดำเนินต่อเนื่องมายาวนานเกือบ 80 ปี

ประวัติศาสตร์เปลี่ยนแปลงในปี 2017 เมื่อตระกูลกาซ ซึ่งเป็นเจ้าของชาโต แลงช์ บาจ ในโปยัคเช่นเดียวกัน ได้เข้าซื้อโอ บาตายีผ่านการเป็นตัวกลางของธนาคารรอธไชลด์ (Rothschild) โบรีผู้ขายกล่าวกันว่า “ยินดีที่การส่งต่อกิจการครั้งนี้เกิดขึ้นกับตระกูลกาซ” ขณะที่ฌอง=ชาร์ล กาซ (Jean-Charles Cazes) แห่งตระกูลกาซได้กล่าวถึงการเข้าซื้อครั้งนี้ว่าเป็นการ “เสริมความแข็งแกร่งของฐานที่มั่นในโปยัค” พร้อมทั้งระบุอย่างชัดเจนว่า “จะยังคงเป็นโครงการที่แยกต่างหากจากแลงช์ บาจ” หลังการเข้าซื้อกิจการ โอ บาตายีไม่ได้ถูกผนวกเข้ากับแลงช์ บาจ แต่ได้รับการบริหารอย่างเป็นอิสระโดยทีมงานด้านเทคนิคเฉพาะทาง

ไร่องุ่นตั้งอยู่ทางใต้สุดของ AOC โปยัค บนดินกรวดลึกที่มีต้นกำเนิดจากแม่น้ำการอนน์ (Garonne) พื้นที่ปลูกองุ่นในช่วงที่เข้าซื้อกิจการมีทั้งหมด 22 เฮกตาร์ (คาแบร์เนโซวีญง 70% แมร์โล 25% คาแบร์เนฟรอง 5%) แต่จากพื้นที่ทั้งหมด 40 เฮกตาร์ของที่ดินแห่งนี้ มีถึง 19 เฮกตาร์ที่ถูกปล่อยว่างไว้ตั้งแต่หลังการระบาดของแมลงฟิลลอกเซรา (phylloxera) — ทั้งที่ยังมีสิทธิ์ปลูกองุ่นภายใต้ AOC โปยัคติดอยู่ ในปี 2018 ตระกูลกาซได้ทำการสำรวจเทรัวร์ของที่ดินแห่งนี้ และจากผลการสำรวจดังกล่าวได้เริ่มดำเนินแผนการปลูกองุ่นใหม่ครั้งใหญ่ หอคอยที่เรียกว่า “ตูร์ เดอ ราสปิก” ซึ่งตั้งอยู่บริเวณทางเข้าที่ดิน ยังคงเฝ้ามองไร่องุ่นแห่งนี้อยู่จนถึงทุกวันนี้

3 เรื่องที่รู้แล้วเล่าต่อได้

  • ชื่อ “บาตายี” มีที่มาจากสนามรบจริง ๆ กล่าวกันว่าในปี 1453 ช่วงปลายสงครามร้อยปี กองทัพฝรั่งเศสและกองทัพอังกฤษได้เข้าปะทะกันบนผืนดินแห่งนี้ และการรบครั้งนั้น (บาตาย) ก็กลายมาเป็นชื่อของที่ดินโดยตรง
  • ชื่อที่ปรากฏในตารางจัดอันดับคือชื่อในสมัยที่ยังเป็นที่ดินแห่งเดียว การบันทึกเป็นครูว์ที่ 5 ในปี 1855 นั้นเป็นการบันทึกสำหรับที่ดินก่อนการแบ่งแยก ส่วนการที่ที่ดินถูกแบ่งออกเป็นสองในช่วงต้นทศวรรษ 1940 และส่วนหนึ่งกลายมาเป็นโอ บาตายีนั้น เกิดขึ้นภายหลัง
  • เจ้าของใหม่ที่มาถึงในปี 2017 เลือกการบริหารอย่างเป็นอิสระแทนการผนวกรวม แม้ตระกูลกาซแห่งชาโต แลงช์ บาจ จะเข้าซื้อโอ บาตายี แต่ก็ระบุอย่างชัดเจนว่า “จะยังคงเป็นโครงการที่แยกต่างหาก” และเลือกบริหารด้วยทีมงานด้านเทคนิคที่เป็นอิสระ