Bordeaux Chateau Stories · 1855 Classification
なぜArsac村の畑がMargauxを名乗れるのか——標高24mの丘が語るシャトー・デュ・テルトル

ボルドー・シャトー物語でここまで見てきた通り、1855年の格付けは村ごとの名声を並べただけの単純な制度ではない。今回訪ねるシャトー・デュ・テルトルは、その複雑さを住所そのものに刻んでいる城だ。
このシャトーが実際に建っているのはArsac村である。だが名乗るアペラシオンはMargauxだ。ラベルにはMargauxと記されながら、地図上の所在地はArsac——一見すると矛盾のように見える。だがこの謎には、拍子抜けするほど簡単な種明かしがある。答えは、Margauxという名称そのものの成り立ちを決めた、ある行政区分にある。
| 項目 | 内容 |
|---|---|
| 正式名称 | Château du Tertre(シャトー・デュ・テルトル) |
| 村・地区 | Arsac村(畑はMargauxアペラシオンに帰属。Margaux AOCはMargaux・Cantenac・Arsac・Soussans・Labardeの複数村にまたがる制度で、2017年にMargauxとCantenacは合併しMargaux-Cantenac村に) |
| 1855年格付け | 第5級(サンキエム・クリュ、Margaux) |
| もう一つの赤ワイン | Les Hauts du Tertre(公式表記もこの名称。「セカンドワイン」の語は不使用)/別途、白ワインTertre Blanc(2014年〜) |
| 節目の年 | 12世紀頃(Arsac領主起源)/1590年(Jacquette d’Arsac×モンテーニュの弟トマの結婚)/1724〜1736年頃(ピエール・ミッチェルによる用地買収と築城)/1855年(格付け)/1997年(Albada Jelgersma夫妻が取得)/2021年1月(Helfrich家が経営承継) |
標高24mの丘と、五つの村にまたがる名前
Arsac村は、Margauxアペラシオンを構成する村の一つに過ぎない。Margauxという名称は、単独の村名ではなく、Margaux・Cantenac・Arsac・Soussans・Labardeという複数の村にまたがる制度上の呼称だ(2017年、MargauxとCantenacの2村は合併しMargaux-Cantenac村となった)。つまりArsac村の畑がMargauxを名乗ることは、特例でも矛盾でもない。制度が最初からそう設計されているだけのことだ。
シャトー・デュ・テルトルの公式サイトによれば、この地所の畑はMargauxアペラシオンの中でも最も高い部類に入る砂利質の丘の上にあり、標高はおよそ24mに達するという。「テルトル(tertre)」はフランス語で小丘・盛り上がった地形を意味する語である。名前は比喩ではなく、足元の地形をそのまま呼んだ言葉だったのだ。松林に守られた環境の中、砂と砂利の区画がこの丘を覆っている。
モンテーニュの弟が婿入りした城
この土地の歴史は、格付けよりずっと古くから続いている。Arsac領主という称号そのものの起源は12世紀に遡ると伝えられる。
転機が訪れるのは1590年のことだ。時のArsac領主ジャン・ダルサックの娘ジャケット・ダルサックが、哲学者ミシェル・ド・モンテーニュの弟、トマ・エイケム・ド・モンテーニュと結婚し、Arsac及びCastéraの領主の座を得た。ジャンにはもう一人娘がいて、マルグリット・ダルサックという。伝わるところでは、彼女はモンテーニュの無二の親友エティエンヌ・ド・ラ・ボエシに嫁いだという。哲学と友情の名が、この土地の家系図に交差していた時代だった。
ジャケットとトマの娘アントワネットは、ボルドー高等法院の法律家ガブリエル・ダレラックに嫁ぎ、領地はダレラック家へと継承される。さらに17世紀、この地所はセギュール家の手に渡った。カロン=セギュール、フェラン=セギュール、ラトゥール、ムートン、ラフィットなど複数のシャトーを所有した家系だった。
実業家が据えた礎石、そして現在へ
1724年、アイルランド系の実業家ピエール・ミッチェルが、この土地の一部を買い取る。彼は前年の1723年、ボルドー初のガラス工場を興した人物であり、1725年にはジェロボアムボトルを考案したとされる、ボルドーワインのボトル形状そのものの生みの親としても知られる。
ミッチェルは1736年頃、この地に城の礎石を据えた。彼の没後、妻子は1748年・1749年と土地を買い足し、52ヘクタールの一体の畑を完成させる。実業家が興した城は、こうして一つの纏まった地所へと育っていった。
19世紀から20世紀にかけては、アンリ・ド・ヴァラードやアンリ・ド・ケーニヒスヴァルター男爵といった当主のもとで受け継がれた。1956年、ボルドー全域を襲った大霜害の後、カロン=セギュールのオーナーでもあったフィリップ・カプベルン=ガスクトンが畑の指揮を執り、1960年から植え替えを進めている。
1997年、エリック&マリー=ルイーズ・アルバダ・イェルフスマ夫妻がシャトーを取得した。庭園は、パリのカルーゼル庭園やロンドンのジュビリー・パークを手がけたランドスケープデザイナー、ジャック・ヴィルツの手によるものだ。そして2021年1月、Helfrich家が経営を引き継いだ。現在、この丘からは赤ワインのほかに、もう一つの赤ワインLes Hauts du Tertre、そして2014年からの白ワインTertre Blancが生まれている。800年以上の歴史を持つ丘の上の城は、今もその歩みを続けている。
知っておくと語れる3つ
- 「テルトル」は比喩ではなく実測値だった。 この地所はMargauxアペラシオンの中でも最も高い部類の砂利質の丘に立ち、標高はおよそ24mに達するという。
- モンテーニュの弟が、この土地の領主になった。 1590年、Arsac領主の娘ジャケット・ダルサックが哲学者ミシェル・ド・モンテーニュの弟トマ・エイケム・ド・モンテーニュと結婚し、領地はモンテーニュ一族に受け継がれた。
- 礎石を据えたのは、ボルドー初のガラス工場を興した男だった。 実業家ピエール・ミッチェルは1725年にジェロボアムボトルを考案したとされ、1736年頃、この地に城を建てた。
Why a Vineyard in the Village of Arsac Can Call Itself Margaux — Château du Tertre and the Hill That Speaks at 24 Meters

As we have seen throughout the Bordeaux Chateau Stories series, the 1855 Classification was never simply a system that ranked villages by reputation alone. The chateau we visit this time, Château du Tertre, carries that complexity written into its very address.
The chateau itself actually stands in the village of Arsac. Yet the appellation it claims is Margaux. The label reads Margaux, while its location on the map is Arsac — at first glance, an apparent contradiction. But this puzzle has an answer that turns out to be almost anticlimactically simple. The answer lies in an administrative division that shaped the very formation of the name Margaux itself.
| Item | Details |
|---|---|
| Official name | Château du Tertre |
| Village / district | Village of Arsac (the vineyard belongs to the Margaux appellation. The Margaux AOC is a designation spanning several villages — Margaux, Cantenac, Arsac, Soussans, and Labarde; in 2017, Margaux and Cantenac merged into the single village of Margaux-Cantenac) |
| 1855 Classification | Fifth Growth (Cinquième Cru, Margaux) |
| Other red wine | Les Hauts du Tertre (this is the official name; the term “second wine” is not used) / separately, a white wine, Tertre Blanc (since 2014) |
| Milestone years | Around the 12th century (origin of the Lordship of Arsac) / 1590 (marriage of Jacquette d’Arsac to Thomas, brother of Montaigne) / around 1724–1736 (Pierre Mitchell’s acquisition of the land and construction of the chateau) / 1855 (Classification) / 1997 (acquisition by Eric and Marie-Louise Albada Jelgersma) / January 2021 (the Helfrich family takes over management) |
A Hill 24 Meters High, and a Name That Spans Five Villages
Arsac is merely one of the villages that make up the Margaux appellation. The name Margaux is not the name of a single village but an institutional designation spanning several villages — Margaux, Cantenac, Arsac, Soussans, and Labarde (in 2017, the two villages of Margaux and Cantenac merged to form the village of Margaux-Cantenac). In other words, for a vineyard in the village of Arsac to claim the name Margaux is neither a special exception nor a contradiction. The system was simply designed that way from the start.
According to Château du Tertre’s official website, the estate’s vineyard sits atop one of the highest gravel hills within the Margaux appellation, reaching an elevation of roughly 24 meters. “Tertre” is a French word meaning a small hill, a raised landform. The name was not a metaphor — it simply named the ground underfoot as it was. Sheltered by pine forest, plots of sand and gravel cover this hill.
The Brother of Montaigne Who Married into This Land
The history of this land reaches back long before the Classification. The title of Lord of Arsac itself is said to trace its origin to the 12th century.
A turning point came in 1590. Jacquette d’Arsac, daughter of the then Lord of Arsac, Jean d’Arsac, married Thomas Eyquem de Montaigne, brother of the philosopher Michel de Montaigne, and thereby gained the lordship of Arsac and Castéra. Jean had another daughter, Marguerite d’Arsac. She is said to have married Étienne de La Boétie, Montaigne’s closest friend. It was an era in which the names of philosophy and friendship crossed paths in this land’s family tree.
Antoinette, daughter of Jacquette and Thomas, married Gabriel Darrelacq, a jurist of the Parlement of Bordeaux, and the estate passed to the Darrelacq family. Then, in the 17th century, the estate passed into the hands of the Ségur family — a lineage that held several chateaux, including Calon-Ségur, Phélan-Ségur, Latour, Mouton, and Lafite.
The Cornerstone Laid by a Businessman, and the Estate Today
In 1724, Pierre Mitchell, a businessman of Irish descent, purchased part of this land. The previous year, in 1723, he had founded Bordeaux’s first glassworks, and in 1725 he is said to have devised the jeroboam bottle, making him also known as the originator of the very shape of the Bordeaux wine bottle.
Around 1736, Mitchell laid the cornerstone of a chateau on this site. After his death, his wife and children purchased additional land in 1748 and 1749, completing a unified vineyard of 52 hectares. The chateau founded by a businessman thus grew into a single, consolidated estate.
Through the 19th and 20th centuries, it passed down under owners such as Henri de Vallade and Baron Henri de Koenigswarter. In 1956, after the great frost that struck the whole of Bordeaux, Philippe Capbern-Gasqueton, also the owner of Calon-Ségur, took charge of the vineyard, and from 1960 he carried out replanting.
In 1997, Eric and Marie-Louise Albada Jelgersma acquired the chateau. The gardens are the work of landscape designer Jacques Wirtz, who also designed the Carrousel Gardens in Paris and the Jubilee Gardens in London. Then, in January 2021, the Helfrich family took over management. Today, this hill produces, alongside its red wine, another red wine, Les Hauts du Tertre, and, since 2014, a white wine, Tertre Blanc. The chateau on the hill, with a history of more than 800 years, continues its journey still today.
Three Facts Worth Knowing
- “Tertre” was not a metaphor — it was a measured fact. The estate stands on one of the highest gravel hills within the Margaux appellation, said to reach an elevation of roughly 24 meters.
- The brother of Montaigne became lord of this land. In 1590, Jacquette d’Arsac, daughter of the Lord of Arsac, married Thomas Eyquem de Montaigne, brother of the philosopher Michel de Montaigne, and the estate passed into the Montaigne family.
- The man who laid the cornerstone had founded Bordeaux’s first glassworks. The businessman Pierre Mitchell is said to have devised the jeroboam bottle in 1725, and around 1736 he built the chateau on this site.
ทำไมไร่องุ่นในหมู่บ้าน Arsac จึงใช้ชื่อ Margaux ได้ — Château du Tertre และเนินเขาสูง 24 เมตรที่บอกเล่าเรื่องราว

ดังที่เราได้เห็นมาตลอดซีรีส์ Bordeaux Chateau Stories ระบบการจัดอันดับปี 1855 ไม่ใช่เพียงระบบง่าย ๆ ที่เรียงลำดับชื่อเสียงของแต่ละหมู่บ้านเท่านั้น ชาโตที่เราจะไปเยือนในครั้งนี้ คือ Château du Tertre ปราสาทที่สลักความซับซ้อนนั้นไว้ในที่อยู่ของตัวมันเอง
ชาโตแห่งนี้ตั้งอยู่จริงในหมู่บ้าน Arsac แต่ appellation ที่ใช้ระบุคือ Margaux บนฉลากระบุว่า Margaux ในขณะที่ตำแหน่งบนแผนที่คือ Arsac — เมื่อมองผิวเผินดูเหมือนจะขัดแย้งกัน แต่ปริศนานี้มีคำตอบที่เรียบง่ายจนรู้สึกเหมือนเสียแรงเดาไปเปล่า ๆ คำตอบอยู่ที่การแบ่งเขตการปกครองอย่างหนึ่ง ซึ่งเป็นตัวกำหนดที่มาของชื่อ Margaux เอง
| รายการ | รายละเอียด |
|---|---|
| ชื่อทางการ | Château du Tertre (ชาโต ดู แตร์ทร์) |
| หมู่บ้าน / เขต | หมู่บ้าน Arsac (ไร่องุ่นอยู่ในเขต appellation Margaux ซึ่ง Margaux AOC เป็นระบบที่ครอบคลุมหลายหมู่บ้าน ได้แก่ Margaux, Cantenac, Arsac, Soussans และ Labarde โดยในปี 2017 Margaux และ Cantenac ได้รวมกันเป็นหมู่บ้าน Margaux-Cantenac) |
| การจัดอันดับปี 1855 | อันดับที่ 5 (Cinquième Cru, Margaux) |
| ไวน์แดงอีกตัวหนึ่ง | Les Hauts du Tertre (เป็นชื่อทางการเช่นกัน ไม่ใช้คำว่า “second wine”) / และแยกต่างหากคือไวน์ขาว Tertre Blanc (ตั้งแต่ปี 2014) |
| ปีสำคัญ | ราวศตวรรษที่ 12 (จุดกำเนิดของตำแหน่งขุนนางแห่ง Arsac) / ปี 1590 (การแต่งงานระหว่าง Jacquette d’Arsac กับ Thomas น้องชายของ Montaigne) / ราวปี 1724-1736 (Pierre Mitchell ซื้อที่ดินและสร้างปราสาท) / ปี 1855 (การจัดอันดับ) / ปี 1997 (ตระกูล Albada Jelgersma เข้าซื้อกิจการ) / มกราคม 2021 (ตระกูล Helfrich เข้ารับช่วงบริหาร) |
เนินเขาสูง 24 เมตร กับชื่อที่ครอบคลุมห้าหมู่บ้าน
หมู่บ้าน Arsac เป็นเพียงหนึ่งในหมู่บ้านที่ประกอบกันขึ้นเป็น appellation Margaux ชื่อ Margaux ไม่ใช่ชื่อหมู่บ้านเดียว แต่เป็นชื่อเรียกเชิงระบบที่ครอบคลุมหลายหมู่บ้าน ได้แก่ Margaux, Cantenac, Arsac, Soussans และ Labarde (ในปี 2017 หมู่บ้าน Margaux และ Cantenac ได้รวมกันเป็นหมู่บ้าน Margaux-Cantenac) กล่าวอีกนัยหนึ่ง การที่ไร่องุ่นในหมู่บ้าน Arsac ใช้ชื่อ Margaux นั้นไม่ใช่ทั้งข้อยกเว้นพิเศษและไม่ใช่ความขัดแย้ง เพียงแต่ระบบถูกออกแบบมาเช่นนั้นตั้งแต่แรกเท่านั้นเอง
ตามข้อมูลจากเว็บไซต์ทางการของ Château du Tertre ไร่องุ่นของที่ดินแห่งนี้ตั้งอยู่บนเนินกรวดที่จัดว่าสูงที่สุดแห่งหนึ่งใน appellation Margaux โดยมีความสูงจากระดับน้ำทะเลราว 24 เมตร คำว่า “tertre” ในภาษาฝรั่งเศสหมายถึงเนินเล็ก ๆ หรือภูมิประเทศที่นูนขึ้นมา ชื่อนี้จึงไม่ใช่การเปรียบเปรย แต่เป็นคำที่เรียกสภาพภูมิประเทศใต้ฝ่าเท้าตามที่เป็นจริง ท่ามกลางป่าสนที่ปกป้องพื้นที่ แปลงดินทรายและกรวดปกคลุมเนินเขาแห่งนี้อยู่
ปราสาทที่น้องชายของ Montaigne แต่งงานเข้ามาเป็นเจ้าของ
ประวัติศาสตร์ของผืนดินแห่งนี้ย้อนกลับไปไกลกว่าการจัดอันดับมากนัก กล่าวกันว่าต้นกำเนิดของตำแหน่งขุนนางแห่ง Arsac นั้นย้อนไปถึงราวศตวรรษที่ 12
จุดเปลี่ยนสำคัญเกิดขึ้นในปี 1590 เมื่อ Jacquette d’Arsac ธิดาของ Jean d’Arsac ขุนนางแห่ง Arsac ในสมัยนั้น ได้แต่งงานกับ Thomas Eyquem de Montaigne น้องชายของนักปรัชญา Michel de Montaigne และได้ครองตำแหน่งขุนนางแห่ง Arsac และ Castéra Jean ยังมีธิดาอีกคนหนึ่งชื่อ Marguerite d’Arsac เล่ากันว่าเธอแต่งงานกับ Étienne de La Boétie เพื่อนสนิทที่สุดของ Montaigne นับเป็นยุคสมัยที่ชื่อของปรัชญาและมิตรภาพมาบรรจบกันในสายตระกูลของผืนดินแห่งนี้
Antoinette ธิดาของ Jacquette และ Thomas แต่งงานกับ Gabriel Darrelacq นักกฎหมายแห่งรัฐสภาบอร์กโดซ์ (Parlement of Bordeaux) และที่ดินก็ตกทอดสู่ตระกูล Darrelacq จากนั้นในศตวรรษที่ 17 ที่ดินแห่งนี้ตกไปอยู่ในมือของตระกูล Ségur ซึ่งเป็นตระกูลที่เป็นเจ้าของชาโตหลายแห่ง อาทิ Calon-Ségur, Phélan-Ségur, Latour, Mouton และ Lafite
ศิลาฤกษ์ที่นักธุรกิจวางไว้ สู่ปัจจุบัน
ในปี 1724 Pierre Mitchell นักธุรกิจเชื้อสายไอริช ได้ซื้อที่ดินส่วนหนึ่งของผืนดินแห่งนี้ ปีก่อนหน้านั้นคือปี 1723 เขาได้ก่อตั้งโรงงานแก้วแห่งแรกของบอร์กโดซ์ และในปี 1725 กล่าวกันว่าเขาเป็นผู้คิดค้นขวดขนาดเยโรโบอัม (jeroboam) จึงเป็นที่รู้จักในฐานะผู้ให้กำเนิดรูปทรงขวดไวน์บอร์กโดซ์เองด้วย
ราวปี 1736 Mitchell ได้วางศิลาฤกษ์ปราสาทบนผืนดินนี้ หลังจากเขาเสียชีวิต ภรรยาและบุตรได้ซื้อที่ดินเพิ่มในปี 1748 และ 1749 จนไร่องุ่นผืนเดียวกันมีขนาดรวม 52 เฮกตาร์ ปราสาทที่นักธุรกิจก่อตั้งขึ้นจึงเติบโตกลายเป็นที่ดินผืนใหญ่ผืนเดียวด้วยวิธีนี้
ตลอดศตวรรษที่ 19 จนถึงศตวรรษที่ 20 ที่ดินแห่งนี้ได้รับการสืบทอดภายใต้เจ้าของหลายคน เช่น Henri de Vallade และ Baron Henri de Koenigswarter ในปี 1956 หลังเหตุการณ์น้ำค้างแข็งครั้งใหญ่ที่โจมตีทั่วทั้งบอร์กโดซ์ Philippe Capbern-Gasqueton ผู้ซึ่งเป็นเจ้าของ Calon-Ségur ด้วย ได้เข้ามาดูแลไร่องุ่น และเริ่มปลูกทดแทนตั้งแต่ปี 1960
ในปี 1997 คู่สามีภรรยา Eric และ Marie-Louise Albada Jelgersma ได้เข้าซื้อชาโตแห่งนี้ สวนของที่นี่เป็นผลงานของ Jacques Wirtz นักออกแบบภูมิทัศน์ผู้ออกแบบ Carrousel Gardens ในปารีส และ Jubilee Gardens ในลอนดอน จากนั้นในเดือนมกราคม 2021 ตระกูล Helfrich ได้เข้ารับช่วงบริหาร ปัจจุบันเนินเขาแห่งนี้ให้กำเนิดไวน์แดง รวมถึงไวน์แดงอีกตัวหนึ่งคือ Les Hauts du Tertre และไวน์ขาว Tertre Blanc ตั้งแต่ปี 2014 ปราสาทบนเนินเขาที่มีประวัติศาสตร์ยาวนานกว่า 800 ปี ยังคงเดินหน้าต่อไปจนถึงทุกวันนี้
3 เรื่องที่รู้แล้วเล่าต่อได้
- “Tertre” ไม่ใช่การเปรียบเปรย แต่เป็นค่าที่วัดได้จริง ที่ดินแห่งนี้ตั้งอยู่บนเนินกรวดที่จัดว่าสูงที่สุดแห่งหนึ่งใน appellation Margaux โดยมีความสูงจากระดับน้ำทะเลราว 24 เมตร
- น้องชายของ Montaigne กลายเป็นขุนนางเจ้าของผืนดินแห่งนี้ ในปี 1590 Jacquette d’Arsac ธิดาของขุนนางแห่ง Arsac ได้แต่งงานกับ Thomas Eyquem de Montaigne น้องชายของนักปรัชญา Michel de Montaigne และที่ดินก็ตกทอดสู่ตระกูล Montaigne
- ผู้วางศิลาฤกษ์คือชายผู้ก่อตั้งโรงงานแก้วแห่งแรกของบอร์กโดซ์ กล่าวกันว่านักธุรกิจ Pierre Mitchell เป็นผู้คิดค้นขวดเยโรโบอัมในปี 1725 และราวปี 1736 เขาได้สร้างปราสาทขึ้นบนผืนดินนี้
