Bordeaux Chateau Stories · 1855 Classification
革命が分けた領地、競売が結んだ物語——カマンサックとハンブルクの商人

Saint-Laurent-Médoc村、サン・ジュリアンの西、道から奥まった場所に、シャトー・ド・カマンサックという名の畑があるとされる。カマンサックとはガスコン語で「水へ続く道」を意味する地名で、1767年のベリーム地図にもすでにこの名が記されている。1701年の記録は、この土地の様子をこう伝える——「家とブドウ畑があり、周囲は湿地に囲まれ、シャトー・ラ・トゥール・カルネとシャトー・ラグランジュの畑に隣接していた」。メドック地域は16世紀、アンリ4世のもとで沼地の排水事業が進められたと伝わるが、同じ記録の中で、少なくとも18世紀初頭のカマンサックの土地はなお水に縁どられた場所として書き残されている。
この土地の持ち主が大きく変わるのは、フランス革命の混乱のさなかだ。ベイシュヴェル領主家を治めていたバロネス・ド・ビュドスが世を去り、その遺領は分割された。カマンサックはこのとき競売にかけられ、1799年、ジョゼフ・ポップという人物の手に渡る。ポップ家はハンブルク出身のハンザ商人一族で、1707年に交易のためボルドーのシャルトロン地区に定住した一族の一つだった。「水へ続く道」という名を持つ土地は、こうして遠い北の港町から来た商人の手に落ちた。
| 項目 | 内容 |
|---|---|
| 正式名称 | シャトー・ド・カマンサック(Château de Camensac) |
| 村・地区 | Saint-Laurent-Médoc(Haut-Médoc AOC) |
| 1855年格付け | 第5級(サンキエム・クリュ、1855年4月18日発表) |
| セカンドワイン | La Closerie de Camensac |
| 同格の隣人 | 同じHaut-Médoc第5級には、Château BelgraveとChâteau Cantemerleがある(3シャトーはそれぞれ別の地所) |
| 主な所有者交代 | 1799年(ポップ家)/1887年(トゥルナード)/1906年(ラアンス伯爵)/1912年(キュヴリエ兄弟)/1964年(フォルネ兄弟)/2005年(メルロー&ヴィラール=フーベ) |
1855年、ポップ家のテロワールが認められた日
1855年4月18日に発表された格付けは、ポップ家が守ってきたカマンサックのテロワールを認め、この畑をHaut-Médocの第5級に加えた。競売で流れ着いた商人一族の畑が、半世紀余りでボルドーの公式な格付けに名を連ねるまでになっていたことになる。
その5年後の1860年、当主ブルーノ・ポップが醸造所を拡張する。当時としては新しい方式の可動式ワインプレスを導入し、後にメドック各地で採用が広がった。ハンブルクから来た一族は、この地に技術面での足跡も残していた。
持ち主が入れ替わった四半世紀、そして半世紀越しの再生
ポップ家の後、経営を継げる者がいなくなると、1887年に海軍中尉アルフォンス・ド・トゥルナードとアントニア・ガリグーが所有者となる。夫妻の死後、1906年にはラアンス伯爵が取得し、1912年、シャトー・ル・クロックの所有者でもあったポールとアルベールのキュヴリエ兄弟が新たな持ち主となった。四半世紀の間に、持ち主は次々と入れ替わっていった。
しかし1964年、エリゼとアンリのフォルネ兄弟が畑を購入した時点で、カマンサックは「悲しい状態」にあった。かつてワインを造っていた区画は実質的に放棄されていたという。フォルネ兄弟はスペイン・リオハでワイナリーを営んでいた一族で、その知見をこの地に持ち込んだとも伝えられる。再建は、著名な醸造家エミール・ペイノーの持続的な支援のもとで進められた。
2005年の交代、そして現在
2005年、ジャン・メルローとセリーヌ・ヴィラール=フーベがシャトーを取得する。その狙いは、輸出市場での不在によって傷んでいた評判を回復させることだったという。かつてハンブルクの商人一族が競売で手にした畑は、今度は輸出市場への再挑戦を掲げる持ち主のもとに渡ったことになる。
2021年には、レベル3のHVE(高環境価値)認証を取得し、アグロエコロジーのプログラムを開始した。セカンドワインのLa Closerie de Camensacは、同じ手入れを受けた区画から選ばれたロットで造られている。「水へ続く道」という古い地名を背負った畑は、革命・移民商人・放棄・再生という幾度もの転機を経て、今も畑仕事を続けている。
知っておくと語れる3つ
- 地名は「水へ続く道」。1701年の記録でも、この土地はまだ湿地に囲まれていた。 ガスコン語由来のカマンサックという名は、1767年のベリーム地図にも記されている古い地名である。
- 革命が分けた遺領の競売で、ハンブルクの商人一族が畑を手に入れた。 ベイシュヴェル領主家の遺領分割にともなう競売で、1799年、ハンザ商人一族のポップ家がこの地を購入した。
- 1964年に取得された時点で、畑は「悲しい状態」で実質的に放棄されていた。 フォルネ兄弟は著名な醸造家エミール・ペイノーの支援を受けながら、この畑を再建した。
A Revolution Divided the Estate, an Auction Joined the Story — Camensac and the Hamburg Merchants

In the commune of Saint-Laurent-Médoc, west of Saint-Julien and set back from the road, there is said to lie a vineyard known as Château de Camensac. Camensac is a place name meaning “the path to the water” in Gascon, and the name already appears on the Belleyme map of 1767. A record from 1701 describes the property as follows — “there was a house and a vineyard, surrounded by marshland, adjoining the vineyards of Château La Tour Carnet and Château Lagrange.” The Médoc region is said to have undergone marsh-drainage works under Henri IV in the 16th century, yet the same record shows that, at least in the early 18th century, the land at Camensac was still set down as a place bordered by water.
The ownership of this land changed dramatically amid the turmoil of the French Revolution. Baroness de Budos, who had presided over the seigneury of Beychevelle, passed away, and her estate was divided. Camensac was put up for auction at this time, passing in 1799 into the hands of a man named Joseph Popp. The Popp family were Hanseatic merchants from Hamburg, one of the families that had settled in Bordeaux’s Chartrons district in 1707 for the purposes of trade. The land bearing the name “the path to the water” thus fell into the hands of merchants who had come from a distant northern port town.
| Item | Details |
|---|---|
| Official name | Château de Camensac |
| Commune/District | Saint-Laurent-Médoc (Haut-Médoc AOC) |
| 1855 Classification | Fifth Growth (Cinquième Cru, announced April 18, 1855) |
| Second wine | La Closerie de Camensac |
| Neighbors of the same rank | The same Haut-Médoc Fifth Growth rank includes Château Belgrave and Château Cantemerle (the three châteaux are each separate estates) |
| Main changes of ownership | 1799 (Popp family) / 1887 (Tournade) / 1906 (Comte de Lahens) / 1912 (Cuvelier brothers) / 1964 (Forner brothers) / 2005 (Merlaut & Villars-Foubet) |
The Day the Popp Family’s Terroir Was Recognized, 1855
The classification announced on April 18, 1855 recognized the Camensac terroir that the Popp family had tended, and placed the vineyard among the Fifth Growths of the Haut-Médoc. In little more than half a century, the vineyard of a merchant family that had arrived through an auction had come to be listed in Bordeaux’s official classification.
Five years later, in 1860, the head of the family, Bruno Popp, expanded the winery. He introduced a mobile wine press of a design that was new for its time, which later came into wider use throughout the Médoc. The family that had come from Hamburg thus also left its mark on the technical side of the estate.
A Quarter-Century of Changing Hands, and a Revival Half a Century in the Making
After the Popp family, once no one remained to carry on the management, ownership passed in 1887 to Naval Lieutenant Alphonse de Tournade and Antonia Garrigou. After the couple’s deaths, the Comte de Lahens acquired the estate in 1906, and in 1912 the Cuvelier brothers, Paul and Albert, who were also the owners of Château Le Crock, became the new owners. Over the course of a quarter-century, ownership changed hands one after another.
By the time the Forner brothers, Elyse and Henri, purchased the vineyard in 1964, however, Camensac was in a “sorry state.” The plots where wine had once been made are said to have been effectively abandoned. The Forner brothers were a family who ran a winery in Rioja, Spain, and are said to have brought that knowledge to bear on this estate. The rebuilding was carried out with the sustained support of the renowned oenologist Émile Peynaud.
The 2005 Transition, and Today
In 2005, Jean Merlaut and Céline Villars-Foubet acquired the château. Their aim, it is said, was to restore a reputation that had suffered from the estate’s absence in export markets. The vineyard once acquired at auction by a merchant family from Hamburg thus passed, this time, into the hands of owners committed to renewing its challenge in export markets.
In 2021, the estate obtained Level 3 HVE (Haute Valeur Environnementale) certification and launched an agroecology program. The second wine, La Closerie de Camensac, is made from lots selected from plots given the same care. The vineyard carrying the old place name “the path to the water” continues its work in the vines today, having passed through repeated turning points — revolution, immigrant merchants, abandonment, and revival.
Three Facts Worth Knowing
- The place name means “the path to the water.” Even in the 1701 record, this land was still surrounded by marshland. The name Camensac, of Gascon origin, is an old place name that also appears on the Belleyme map of 1767.
- In the auction of an estate divided by the Revolution, a merchant family from Hamburg acquired the vineyard. In the auction that followed the division of the Beychevelle seigneurial estate, the Popp family, a family of Hanseatic merchants, purchased the land in 1799.
- By the time it was acquired in 1964, the vineyard was in a “sorry state” and effectively abandoned. The Forner brothers rebuilt the vineyard with the support of the renowned oenologist Émile Peynaud.
การปฏิวัติแบ่งแยกที่ดิน การประมูลเชื่อมเรื่องราว — กามองซัก (Camensac) และพ่อค้าฮัมบูร์ก

กล่าวกันว่าในตำบลแซ็ง-โลร็อง-เมด็อก (Saint-Laurent-Médoc) ทางทิศตะวันตกของแซ็งจูเลียง (Saint-Julien) และเยื้องลึกเข้าไปจากถนน มีไร่องุ่นแห่งหนึ่งชื่อว่าชาโต เดอ กามองซัก (Château de Camensac) ตั้งอยู่ คำว่ากามองซักเป็นชื่อสถานที่ในภาษากาสกง (Gascon) ที่แปลว่า “ทางสู่สายน้ำ” และชื่อนี้ปรากฏอยู่แล้วในแผนที่เบลแลม (Belleyme) ปี 1767 บันทึกจากปี 1701 เล่าถึงสภาพของที่ดินแห่งนี้ไว้ว่า — “มีบ้านและไร่องุ่น โดยรอบล้อมด้วยพื้นที่ชุ่มน้ำ ติดกับไร่องุ่นของชาโต ลา ตูร์ การ์เนต์ (Château La Tour Carnet) และชาโต ลากร็องจ์ (Château Lagrange)” ว่ากันว่าในศตวรรษที่ 16 ภายใต้พระเจ้าอ็องรีที่ 4 (Henri IV) ภูมิภาคเมด็อก (Médoc) ได้มีการระบายน้ำจากพื้นที่ชุ่มน้ำ แต่บันทึกเดียวกันนี้ก็ยังจดไว้ว่า อย่างน้อยในช่วงต้นศตวรรษที่ 18 ที่ดินกามองซักยังคงเป็นสถานที่ที่ล้อมรอบด้วยน้ำ
การเปลี่ยนมือครั้งใหญ่ของที่ดินแห่งนี้เกิดขึ้นท่ามกลางความวุ่นวายของการปฏิวัติฝรั่งเศส เมื่อบารอเนส เดอ บูโดส์ (Baroness de Budos) ผู้ปกครองตระกูลเจ้าครองแคว้นเบชวิลล์ (Beychevelle) สิ้นชีวิต มรดกของเธอจึงถูกแบ่งแยก กามองซักถูกนำออกประมูลในครั้งนี้ และในปี 1799 ก็ตกไปอยู่ในมือของชายชื่อโฌแซฟ ปอปป์ (Joseph Popp) ตระกูลปอปป์เป็นตระกูลพ่อค้าฮันเซียติก (Hanseatic) จากฮัมบูร์ก หนึ่งในตระกูลที่เข้ามาตั้งถิ่นฐานในย่านชาร์ทรง (Chartrons) ของบอร์โดซ์ (Bordeaux) ตั้งแต่ปี 1707 เพื่อการค้า ที่ดินซึ่งมีชื่อว่า “ทางสู่สายน้ำ” จึงตกไปอยู่ในมือของพ่อค้าที่มาจากเมืองท่าทางเหนืออันไกลโพ้น
| รายการ | รายละเอียด |
|---|---|
| ชื่อทางการ | ชาโต เดอ กามองซัก (Château de Camensac) |
| ตำบล/เขต | แซ็ง-โลร็อง-เมด็อก (Saint-Laurent-Médoc)(Haut-Médoc AOC) |
| การจัดอันดับปี 1855 | ชาโตระดับ 5(Cinquième Cru ประกาศเมื่อวันที่ 18 เมษายน 1855) |
| ไวน์รอง | La Closerie de Camensac |
| ชาโตระดับเดียวกัน | ในกลุ่มชาโตระดับ 5 ของโอ-เมด็อกเดียวกันนี้ มีชาโต เบลเกรฟ (Château Belgrave) และชาโต ก็องเตอแมร์ล (Château Cantemerle)(ทั้งสามชาโตต่างเป็นที่ดินคนละแห่งกัน) |
| การเปลี่ยนเจ้าของหลัก | ปี 1799(ตระกูลปอปป์)/ปี 1887(ตูร์นาด)/ปี 1906(เคานต์ เดอ ลาอ็องส์)/ปี 1912(พี่น้องตระกูลกูเวอลีเย)/ปี 1964(พี่น้องตระกูลฟอร์เนร์)/ปี 2005(แมร์โล และวียาร์ส-ฟูเบต์) |
ปี 1855 วันที่เทรัวร์ของตระกูลปอปป์ได้รับการยอมรับ
การจัดอันดับที่ประกาศเมื่อวันที่ 18 เมษายน 1855 ได้ยอมรับเทรัวร์ของกามองซักที่ตระกูลปอปป์ดูแลรักษามา และจัดให้ไร่องุ่นแห่งนี้อยู่ในกลุ่มชาโตระดับ 5 ของโอ-เมด็อก กล่าวได้ว่าไร่องุ่นของตระกูลพ่อค้าที่ล่องลอยมาถึงผ่านการประมูล ได้กลายมาเป็นชื่อในบัญชีจัดอันดับอย่างเป็นทางการของบอร์โดซ์ภายในเวลาเพียงกว่าครึ่งศตวรรษ
ห้าปีต่อมาในปี 1860 บรูโน ปอปป์ (Bruno Popp) เจ้าของกิจการในขณะนั้นได้ขยายโรงผลิตไวน์ โดยนำเครื่องบีบองุ่นแบบเคลื่อนย้ายได้ ซึ่งเป็นวิธีการใหม่ในยุคนั้นมาใช้ และต่อมาก็แพร่หลายไปทั่วภูมิภาคเมด็อก ตระกูลที่มาจากฮัมบูร์กจึงได้ทิ้งร่องรอยไว้ในด้านเทคนิคบนผืนดินแห่งนี้ด้วยเช่นกัน
หนึ่งในสี่ศตวรรษแห่งการเปลี่ยนมือเจ้าของ และการฟื้นฟูที่ข้ามครึ่งศตวรรษ
หลังจากตระกูลปอปป์ เมื่อไม่มีผู้สืบทอดกิจการต่อ ในปี 1887 เรือโทอัลฟองส์ เดอ ตูร์นาด (Alphonse de Tournade) และอ็องโตเนีย การิกู (Antonia Garrigou) จึงกลายเป็นเจ้าของ หลังทั้งคู่เสียชีวิต เคานต์ เดอ ลาอ็องส์ (Comte de Lahens) ได้เข้าซื้อกิจการในปี 1906 และในปี 1912 พี่น้องตระกูลกูเวอลีเย (Cuvelier) คือปอลและอัลแบร์ ผู้ซึ่งเป็นเจ้าของชาโต เลอ ครอค (Château Le Crock) ด้วย ก็กลายเป็นเจ้าของรายใหม่ ตลอดหนึ่งในสี่ศตวรรษนี้ เจ้าของจึงเปลี่ยนมือต่อเนื่องกันไป
แต่เมื่อพี่น้องตระกูลฟอร์เนร์ (Forner) คือเอลีสและอ็องรี เข้าซื้อไร่องุ่นในปี 1964 กามองซักกลับอยู่ใน “สภาพน่าเศร้า” ว่ากันว่าแปลงที่เคยใช้ผลิตไวน์ถูกปล่อยทิ้งร้างไปโดยแท้จริง ตระกูลฟอร์เนร์เป็นตระกูลที่เคยทำไวน์เนอรีอยู่ในแคว้นริโอฆา (Rioja) ประเทศสเปน และเล่ากันว่าได้นำความรู้นั้นมาใช้กับผืนดินแห่งนี้ด้วย การฟื้นฟูดำเนินไปโดยได้รับการสนับสนุนอย่างต่อเนื่องจากเอมีล เปย์โน (Émile Peynaud) นักปรุงไวน์ผู้มีชื่อเสียง
การเปลี่ยนมือในปี 2005 และปัจจุบัน
ในปี 2005 ฌอง แมร์โล (Jean Merlaut) และเซลีน วียาร์ส-ฟูเบต์ (Céline Villars-Foubet) ได้เข้าซื้อชาโตแห่งนี้ ว่ากันว่าเป้าหมายของพวกเขาคือการฟื้นฟูชื่อเสียงที่เสื่อมถอยไปจากการขาดหายไปในตลาดส่งออก ไร่องุ่นที่ครั้งหนึ่งตระกูลพ่อค้าฮัมบูร์กเคยได้มาจากการประมูล จึงตกไปอยู่ในมือของเจ้าของที่ตั้งเป้าจะกลับมาท้าทายตลาดส่งออกอีกครั้ง
ในปี 2021 ชาโตแห่งนี้ได้รับการรับรอง HVE(คุณค่าสิ่งแวดล้อมสูง)ระดับ 3 และเริ่มโครงการเกษตรนิเวศ ไวน์รองอย่าง La Closerie de Camensac ผลิตจากล็อตที่คัดเลือกจากแปลงที่ได้รับการดูแลแบบเดียวกัน ไร่องุ่นที่แบกรับชื่อสถานที่เก่าแก่ว่า “ทางสู่สายน้ำ” ยังคงดำเนินงานในไร่ต่อไปจนถึงทุกวันนี้ ผ่านจุดเปลี่ยนครั้งแล้วครั้งเล่า ทั้งการปฏิวัติ พ่อค้าผู้อพยพ การถูกทิ้งร้าง และการฟื้นฟู
3 เรื่องที่รู้แล้วเล่าต่อได้
- ชื่อสถานที่แปลว่า “ทางสู่สายน้ำ” แม้ในบันทึกปี 1701 ที่ดินแห่งนี้ก็ยังถูกล้อมรอบด้วยพื้นที่ชุ่มน้ำ ชื่อกามองซักซึ่งมีที่มาจากภาษากาสกง เป็นชื่อสถานที่เก่าแก่ที่ปรากฏอยู่ในแผนที่เบลแลมปี 1767 ด้วยเช่นกัน
- ในการประมูลมรดกที่ถูกแบ่งแยกโดยการปฏิวัติ ตระกูลพ่อค้าฮัมบูร์กได้ไร่องุ่นแห่งนี้ไป ในการประมูลที่เกิดขึ้นจากการแบ่งมรดกของตระกูลเจ้าครองแคว้นเบชวิลล์ ตระกูลปอปป์ ซึ่งเป็นตระกูลพ่อค้าฮันเซียติก ได้ซื้อที่ดินแห่งนี้ในปี 1799
- เมื่อถูกซื้อในปี 1964 ไร่องุ่นแห่งนี้อยู่ใน “สภาพน่าเศร้า” และถูกปล่อยทิ้งร้างโดยแท้จริง พี่น้องตระกูลฟอร์เนร์ได้ฟื้นฟูไร่องุ่นแห่งนี้ขึ้นมาใหม่ โดยได้รับการสนับสนุนจากเอมีล เปย์โน นักปรุงไวน์ผู้มีชื่อเสียง
