Bacchus
LINE

Bordeaux Chateau Stories · 1855 Classification

城の名は、勝者ではなく最後まで抗った従者から取られた——シャトー・ラ・トゥール・カルネ、Saint-Laurentからの改名

Watercolor illustration of a medieval stone tower surrounded by a moat and vineyard rows

シャトー・ラ・トゥール・カルネには、かつて別の名前があった。「シャトー・ド・サン=ローラン」。だが現在の名は、この旧称とはまるで違う由来を持つ。城の名になったのは、王でも大領主でもない。一人の従者だ。

しかもその従者は、勝者ではない。最後の戦いに敗れ、城そのものを部分的に壊された側の人物である。手柄を立てた者の名ではなく、最後まで屈しなかった者の名が城の名として残り、いまも生き続けている——この経緯を追うと、シャトー・ラ・トゥール・カルネという名前の重みが変わって見えてくる。

項目内容
正式名称シャトー・ラ・トゥール・カルネ(Château La Tour Carnet)
旧称シャトー・ド・サン=ローラン(Château de Saint-Laurent)
村・地区オー・メドックAOC(メドック地区)
1855年格付け第4級(カトリエム・クリュ)
現所有者ベルナール・マグレ(2000年取得)
節目の年1120年 城を建設/1451年 ボルドーの対仏降伏に抗う/1485年 ジャン・ド・フォワ没、城をカルネに遺す/1486年 カルネが最後の包囲戦に敗れ、城名にその名が残る/16世紀 モンテーニュの妹エレオノールが所有者の一人に/1855年 第4級に選出/2000年 ベルナール・マグレが取得

城の起源は1120年、百年戦争の舞台となるまで

シャトーの年表は1120年の城の建設から始まる。まず石造りの城がそこに建ち、その後の数世紀を経て、この地所は幾多の歴史の舞台となっていく。ワインの銘醸地としての物語よりも先に、城塞としての来歴が積み重ねられてきたことになる。

この城がいつ、なぜ今の名前になったのか——答えは、城が建ってから数世紀後、百年戦争の最末期に起きた、ある一人の従者の物語にある。

「カルネ」は、最後まで抗った従者の名

百年戦争は1337年に始まり、1453年に終わる。その終幕が近づいた1451年、ボルドーがフランス王への服従を余儀なくされていくなか、時の領主ジャン・ド・フォワと、その従者カルネは屈服を拒んだと伝わる。

1485年、ジャン・ド・フォワが没する。彼は城をカルネに遺した。だが翌1486年、カルネはこの城を守って最後の包囲戦を戦い、そして敗れる。城は王命により部分的に破壊されたという。それでも城の名だけは、勝者のものにはならなかった。「シャトー・ド・サン=ローラン」という旧称に代わり、最後まで戦って負けた従者カルネの名が、この城の名として残ったのである。手柄ではなく、抗った記憶のほうが名前として生き延びた。城の壁は壊されても、名前までは壊されなかったということだ。

城、戦、文学、格付、刷新——公式年表がたどる六つの場面

シャトー公式サイトの年表ページは、この城の歴史を「城の建設(Construction du Château、1120年)」「百年戦争(La guerre de cent ans)」「文学の中心(Au cœur de la littérature)」「格付け(Classement Grand Cru、1855年)」「新たな飛躍(Un nouvel élan、2000年)」「伝統と革新(Tradition & Innovation、2015年)」という一続きの章に区切って語っている。従者カルネの物語が「百年戦争」の章にあたるとすれば、続く「文学の中心」の章に現れるのが、16世紀のこの地所の所有者の一人、哲学者ミシェル・ド・モンテーニュの妹エレオノールである。城の主が、戦う従者から、文人の縁につながる一族へと移り変わっていく。ボルドー・グラン・クリュ協会(UGCB)の公式紹介ページも、この時代の著名な所有者としてエレオノールの名を挙げている。

その縁は、遠い過去の逸話だけでは終わらない。現所有者ベルナール・マグレは2017年、モンテーニュの名を冠した文学賞をこの城で創設したと複数の報道が伝える。高額の賞金が贈られるこの賞は、2018年にミシェル・ウエルベック、2019年にはマリオ・バルガス・リョサといった作家が受賞したと伝えられる。16世紀に一人の妹がこの地所と結んだ縁が、21世紀には毎年の授賞式として、今もこの城で更新され続けているということになる。

1855年、この城は第4級(カトリエム・クリュ)に選出された。オー・メドックを名乗る4級シャトーは、10軒のうちこの一軒だけだと言われる。そして2000年、ベルナール・マグレがこの地所を取得し、経営は現在まで続く。シャトー公式サイトと所有者側の公式サイトの双方が、この2000年の取得を一致して伝えている。公式年表が「新たな飛躍」と呼ぶこの節目から、すでに四半世紀余りが過ぎた。城が建ってから約9世紀、従者の名がついてから約5世紀半。負けた者の名を背負ったまま、この城の歴史は今も動き続けている。城、戦、文学、格付、刷新——公式年表自身が語るこの六つの場面を通して見ると、一軒のシャトーの年表が、そのまま一つの物語になっていることがわかる。

知っておくと語れる3つ

  • 城の名は、勝った者ではなく、最後まで抗った従者から取られた。 1486年、従者カルネは最後の包囲戦に敗れ城は部分的に破壊されたが、旧称サン=ローランに代わり、その名が城名として残った。
  • 公式年表は、この城の歴史を建設(1120年)から伝統と革新(2015年)まで、六つの場面として描いている。 城塞としての歩みが、そのまま一続きの物語の骨格になっている。
  • 2000年のベルナール・マグレによる取得は、シャトー公式サイトと所有者側公式サイトの双方が一致して伝える事実である。 「新たな飛躍」と呼ばれるこの節目から、すでに四半世紀余りが過ぎている。

The Château’s Name Was Taken Not from the Victor, but from the Squire Who Resisted to the End — Château La Tour Carnet, Renamed from Saint-Laurent

Watercolor illustration of a medieval stone tower surrounded by a moat and vineyard rows

Château La Tour Carnet once bore a different name: “Château de Saint-Laurent.” But the château’s current name has an origin entirely unlike that former one. It was not a king or a great lord whose name became the château’s name — it was a single squire.

And that squire was no victor. He was on the losing side of the final battle, the side whose château was partially destroyed. Not the name of the one who won glory, but the name of the one who refused to yield to the end, remained as the château’s name — and lives on there still. Tracing this history changes how the weight of the name Château La Tour Carnet appears.

ItemDetails
Official nameChâteau La Tour Carnet
Former nameChâteau de Saint-Laurent
Commune / districtHaut-Médoc AOC (Médoc region)
1855 ClassificationFourth Growth (Quatrième Cru)
Current ownerBernard Magrez (acquired 2000)
Milestone years1120 Château built / 1451 Resists Bordeaux’s surrender to the French crown / 1485 Jean de Foix dies, leaves the château to Carnet / 1486 Carnet defeated in the final siege, his name remains attached to the château / 16th century Eléonore, sister of Montaigne, among the owners / 1855 Selected as Fourth Growth / 2000 Bernard Magrez acquires the estate

The Château’s Origins in 1120, Before It Became a Stage of the Hundred Years’ War

The château’s timeline begins with the construction of a castle in 1120. A stone fortress was first built there, and over the centuries that followed, the estate became the stage for numerous chapters of history. Its history as a fortress accumulated before its story as a distinguished winegrowing estate.

As for when and why this château came to bear its present name — the answer lies in the story of a single squire, which unfolded centuries after the castle was built, in the final phase of the Hundred Years’ War.

“Carnet” — the Name of the Squire Who Resisted to the End

The Hundred Years’ War began in 1337 and ended in 1453. As its conclusion drew near, in 1451, while Bordeaux was being forced into submission to the French crown, the lord of the time, Jean de Foix, and his squire Carnet are said to have refused to yield.

In 1485, Jean de Foix died. He left the château to Carnet. But the following year, 1486, Carnet fought the final siege in defense of the château, and was defeated. The château is said to have been partially destroyed by royal order. Even so, the château’s name alone did not go to the victor. In place of the former name “Château de Saint-Laurent,” the name of Carnet, the squire who fought to the end and lost, remained as the name of this château. It was not the memory of glory but the memory of resistance that survived as the name. The château’s walls were destroyed, but its name was not.

Castle, War, Literature, Classification, Renewal — Six Scenes Traced by the Official Timeline

The timeline page on the château’s official website tells the history of this castle as a sequence of chapters: “Construction of the Château (Construction du Château, 1120),” “The Hundred Years’ War (La guerre de cent ans),” “At the Heart of Literature (Au cœur de la littérature),” “Classification (Classement Grand Cru, 1855),” “A New Momentum (Un nouvel élan, 2000),” and “Tradition & Innovation (2015).” If the squire Carnet’s story belongs to the “Hundred Years’ War” chapter, then the following chapter, “At the Heart of Literature,” introduces Eléonore, sister of the philosopher Michel de Montaigne and one of the estate’s owners in the 16th century. The château’s masters shift from a fighting squire to a family connected to a man of letters. The official introduction page of the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux (UGCB) likewise names Eléonore among the notable owners of this era.

That connection did not end as a mere episode from the distant past. Several reports state that the current owner, Bernard Magrez, established a literary prize bearing Montaigne’s name at this château in 2017. This prize, which carries a substantial cash award, is reported to have been won by writers such as Michel Houellebecq in 2018 and Mario Vargas Llosa in 2019. The bond a single sister formed with this estate in the 16th century is thus renewed, in the 21st century, as an annual award ceremony still held at this château today.

In 1855, this château was selected as a Fourth Growth (Quatrième Cru). It is said to be the only one, among the ten Fourth Growth châteaux, to carry the Haut-Médoc appellation. Then in 2000, Bernard Magrez acquired the estate, and management has continued under him to the present. Both the château’s official website and the owner’s official website agree in reporting this 2000 acquisition. More than a quarter century has already passed since this milestone, which the official timeline calls “a new momentum.” About nine centuries have passed since the castle was built, and about five and a half centuries since it took the squire’s name. Still bearing the name of the one who lost, this château’s history continues to move forward even now. Seen through these six scenes — castle, war, literature, classification, renewal — as the official timeline itself tells them, one château’s chronicle becomes, in itself, a single story.

Three Facts Worth Knowing

  • The château’s name was taken not from the victor, but from the squire who resisted to the end. In 1486, the squire Carnet was defeated in the final siege and the château was partially destroyed, yet in place of the former name Saint-Laurent, his name remained as the name of the château.
  • The official timeline depicts this château’s history as six scenes, from its construction (1120) to Tradition and Innovation (2015). The estate’s history as a fortress forms, as it stands, the skeleton of a single continuous story.
  • Bernard Magrez’s 2000 acquisition is a fact reported consistently by both the château’s official website and the owner’s official website. More than a quarter century has already passed since this milestone, known as “a new momentum.”

ชื่อของชาโตไม่ได้มาจากผู้ชนะ แต่มาจากมหาดเล็กผู้ต่อสู้จนถึงที่สุด — ชาโต ลา ตูร์ การ์เนต์ (Château La Tour Carnet) เปลี่ยนชื่อจาก Saint-Laurent

Watercolor illustration of a medieval stone tower surrounded by a moat and vineyard rows

ชาโต ลา ตูร์ การ์เนต์ (Château La Tour Carnet) เคยมีชื่ออื่นมาก่อน นั่นคือ “ชาโต เดอ แซ็ง-โลร็อง” (Château de Saint-Laurent) แต่ชื่อในปัจจุบันมีที่มาที่แตกต่างไปจากชื่อเดิมนี้โดยสิ้นเชิง ผู้ที่ชื่อกลายมาเป็นชื่อของชาโตไม่ใช่กษัตริย์หรือขุนนางใหญ่ แต่เป็นมหาดเล็กเพียงคนเดียว

และมหาดเล็กผู้นั้นก็ไม่ใช่ผู้ชนะด้วย เขาคือฝ่ายที่พ่ายแพ้ในศึกครั้งสุดท้าย ฝ่ายที่ชาโตถูกทำลายไปบางส่วน ไม่ใช่ชื่อของผู้สร้างวีรกรรม แต่เป็นชื่อของผู้ที่ไม่ยอมจำนนจนถึงที่สุดต่างหากที่ยังคงเป็นชื่อของชาโตและมีชีวิตต่อมาจนถึงทุกวันนี้ — เมื่อไล่เรียงที่มาที่ไปนี้ น้ำหนักของชื่อ “ชาโต ลา ตูร์ การ์เนต์” ก็ดูจะเปลี่ยนไปในสายตาของเรา

รายการรายละเอียด
ชื่อทางการชาโต ลา ตูร์ การ์เนต์ (Château La Tour Carnet)
ชื่อเดิมชาโต เดอ แซ็ง-โลร็อง (Château de Saint-Laurent)
หมู่บ้าน/เขตโอ-เมด็อก AOC (เขตเมด็อก)
การจัดอันดับปี 1855กรองครูที่ 4 (Quatrième Cru)
เจ้าของปัจจุบันแบร์นาร์ มาเกรซ (Bernard Magrez) (เข้าซื้อปี 2000)
ปีสำคัญปี 1120 สร้างชาโต / ปี 1451 ต่อต้านการยอมจำนนของบอร์โดต่อฝรั่งเศส / ปี 1485 ฌ็อง เดอ ฟัวซ์ (Jean de Foix) เสียชีวิต มอบชาโตให้แก่การ์เนต์ / ปี 1486 การ์เนต์พ่ายแพ้ในศึกล้อมครั้งสุดท้าย ชื่อของเขายังคงติดอยู่กับชื่อชาโต / คริสต์ศตวรรษที่ 16 เอเลออนอร์ (Eléonore) น้องสาวของมงแตญ เป็นหนึ่งในเจ้าของ / ปี 1855 ได้รับเลือกเป็นกรองครูที่ 4 / ปี 2000 แบร์นาร์ มาเกรซเข้าซื้อกิจการ

จุดกำเนิดของชาโตในปี 1120 ก่อนจะกลายเป็นเวทีของสงครามร้อยปี

ประวัติศาสตร์ของชาโตแห่งนี้เริ่มต้นจากการสร้างปราสาทในปี 1120 ปราสาทหินถูกสร้างขึ้นที่นั่นเป็นครั้งแรก และตลอดหลายศตวรรษต่อมา ที่ดินแห่งนี้ก็กลายเป็นเวทีของเหตุการณ์ทางประวัติศาสตร์มากมาย กล่าวได้ว่าความเป็นมาในฐานะป้อมปราการได้ถูกสั่งสมมาก่อนเรื่องราวในฐานะแหล่งผลิตไวน์ชั้นเลิศเสียอีก

ส่วนคำถามว่าชาโตแห่งนี้ได้ชื่อในปัจจุบันเมื่อใดและเพราะเหตุใด คำตอบอยู่ในเรื่องราวของมหาดเล็กคนหนึ่ง ซึ่งเกิดขึ้นหลายศตวรรษหลังจากที่ชาโตถูกสร้างขึ้น ในช่วงปลายสุดของสงครามร้อยปี

“การ์เนต์” คือชื่อของมหาดเล็กผู้ต่อสู้จนถึงที่สุด

สงครามร้อยปีเริ่มต้นในปี 1337 และสิ้นสุดในปี 1453 เมื่อช่วงปลายสงครามใกล้เข้ามาในปี 1451 ขณะที่บอร์โดกำลังถูกบีบบังคับให้ยอมจำนนต่อกษัตริย์ฝรั่งเศส กล่าวกันว่าขุนนางเจ้าเมืองในเวลานั้นคือฌ็อง เดอ ฟัวซ์ และมหาดเล็กของเขา การ์เนต์ ปฏิเสธที่จะยอมจำนน

ปี 1485 ฌ็อง เดอ ฟัวซ์ เสียชีวิต เขามอบชาโตนี้ให้แก่การ์เนต์ แต่ในปีถัดมาคือปี 1486 การ์เนต์ได้ต่อสู้ปกป้องชาโตในศึกล้อมครั้งสุดท้าย และพ่ายแพ้ กล่าวกันว่าชาโตถูกทำลายไปบางส่วนตามคำสั่งของกษัตริย์ ถึงกระนั้น ชื่อของชาโตก็ไม่ได้กลายเป็นของฝ่ายผู้ชนะ แทนที่จะเป็นชื่อเดิม “ชาโต เดอ แซ็ง-โลร็อง” ชื่อของการ์เนต์ มหาดเล็กผู้ต่อสู้จนถึงที่สุดแล้วพ่ายแพ้ กลับยังคงเป็นชื่อของชาโตแห่งนี้สืบมา ไม่ใช่วีรกรรมแต่เป็นความทรงจำแห่งการต่อต้านต่างหากที่รอดชีวิตมาในฐานะชื่อ กำแพงของชาโตถูกทำลายลงได้ แต่ชื่อของมันไม่ถูกทำลายไปด้วย

ปราสาท สงคราม วรรณกรรม การจัดอันดับ การเริ่มต้นใหม่ — หกฉากที่ปรากฏในลำดับเหตุการณ์อย่างเป็นทางการ

หน้าลำดับเหตุการณ์บนเว็บไซต์ทางการของชาโตเล่าประวัติศาสตร์ของชาโตแห่งนี้เป็นบทต่อเนื่องกันคือ “การสร้างชาโต (Construction du Château, ปี 1120)” “สงครามร้อยปี (La guerre de cent ans)” “หัวใจแห่งวรรณกรรม (Au cœur de la littérature)” “การจัดอันดับ (Classement Grand Cru, ปี 1855)” “การเริ่มต้นใหม่ (Un nouvel élan, ปี 2000)” และ “ประเพณีและนวัตกรรม (Tradition & Innovation, ปี 2015)” หากเรื่องราวของมหาดเล็กการ์เนต์อยู่ในบท “สงครามร้อยปี” บทถัดมาคือ “หัวใจแห่งวรรณกรรม” ก็ปรากฏเอเลออนอร์ หนึ่งในเจ้าของที่ดินแห่งนี้ในคริสต์ศตวรรษที่ 16 ซึ่งเป็นน้องสาวของนักปรัชญามีแชล เดอ มงแตญ (Michel de Montaigne) เจ้าของชาโตเปลี่ยนผ่านจากมหาดเล็กผู้ต่อสู้ไปสู่ตระกูลที่มีสายสัมพันธ์กับนักปราชญ์ทางวรรณกรรม หน้าแนะนำอย่างเป็นทางการของสมาคม Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux (UGCB) ก็ระบุชื่อเอเลออนอร์ไว้ในฐานะเจ้าของที่มีชื่อเสียงในยุคนี้เช่นกัน

สายสัมพันธ์นั้นไม่ได้จบลงเพียงแค่เรื่องเล่าจากอดีตอันไกลโพ้น มีรายงานหลายแหล่งระบุว่าแบร์นาร์ มาเกรซ เจ้าของคนปัจจุบัน ได้ก่อตั้งรางวัลวรรณกรรมในนามของมงแตญขึ้นที่ชาโตแห่งนี้ในปี 2017 รางวัลนี้มอบเงินรางวัลจำนวนสูง และมีรายงานว่านักเขียนอย่างมีแชล อูแวลเบ็ก (Michel Houellebecq) ได้รับรางวัลในปี 2018 และมาริโอ บาร์กัส โยซา (Mario Vargas Llosa) ได้รับรางวัลในปี 2019 กล่าวได้ว่าสายสัมพันธ์ที่น้องสาวคนหนึ่งเคยผูกพันกับที่ดินแห่งนี้ในคริสต์ศตวรรษที่ 16 ในคริสต์ศตวรรษที่ 21 ได้รับการต่ออายุอย่างต่อเนื่องมาจนถึงทุกวันนี้ในรูปของพิธีมอบรางวัลประจำปีที่จัดขึ้น ณ ชาโตแห่งนี้

ในปี 1855 ชาโตแห่งนี้ได้รับเลือกให้เป็นกรองครูที่ 4 (Quatrième Cru) กล่าวกันว่าในบรรดาชาโตกรองครูที่ 4 ทั้งสิบแห่ง มีเพียงแห่งเดียวเท่านั้นที่ใช้ชื่อโอ-เมด็อก และในปี 2000 แบร์นาร์ มาเกรซได้เข้าซื้อที่ดินแห่งนี้ และการบริหารก็ดำเนินต่อเนื่องมาจนถึงปัจจุบัน ทั้งเว็บไซต์ทางการของชาโตและเว็บไซต์ทางการฝั่งเจ้าของต่างยืนยันตรงกันถึงการเข้าซื้อกิจการในปี 2000 นี้ นับจากจุดเปลี่ยนสำคัญนี้ ซึ่งลำดับเหตุการณ์อย่างเป็นทางการเรียกว่า “การเริ่มต้นใหม่” เวลาก็ผ่านไปแล้วกว่าหนึ่งในสี่ศตวรรษเศษ นับจากการสร้างชาโตก็ผ่านมาแล้วประมาณเก้าศตวรรษ และนับจากที่ชาโตได้รับชื่อของมหาดเล็กก็ผ่านมาแล้วประมาณห้าศตวรรษครึ่ง ชาโตแห่งนี้ยังคงแบกรับชื่อของผู้พ่ายแพ้ไว้ และประวัติศาสตร์ของมันก็ยังคงเคลื่อนไปข้างหน้าแม้กระทั่งในวันนี้ เมื่อมองผ่านหกฉากนี้ — ปราสาท สงคราม วรรณกรรม การจัดอันดับ การเริ่มต้นใหม่ — ตามที่ลำดับเหตุการณ์อย่างเป็นทางการเองได้เล่าไว้ ก็จะเห็นได้ว่าลำดับเหตุการณ์ของชาโตแห่งเดียวได้กลายเป็นเรื่องราวหนึ่งเรื่องในตัวของมันเอง

3 เรื่องที่รู้แล้วเล่าต่อได้

  • ชื่อของชาโตไม่ได้มาจากผู้ชนะ แต่มาจากมหาดเล็กผู้ต่อสู้จนถึงที่สุด ในปี 1486 มหาดเล็กการ์เนต์พ่ายแพ้ในศึกล้อมครั้งสุดท้ายและชาโตถูกทำลายไปบางส่วน แต่แทนที่จะเป็นชื่อเดิมแซ็ง-โลร็อง ชื่อของเขากลับยังคงเป็นชื่อของชาโตสืบมา
  • ลำดับเหตุการณ์อย่างเป็นทางการบรรยายประวัติศาสตร์ของชาโตแห่งนี้เป็นหกฉาก ตั้งแต่การสร้างชาโต (ปี 1120) จนถึงประเพณีและนวัตกรรม (ปี 2015) ความเป็นมาของที่ดินในฐานะป้อมปราการกลายเป็นโครงสร้างหลักของเรื่องราวที่ต่อเนื่องกันเป็นหนึ่งเดียว
  • การเข้าซื้อกิจการในปี 2000 โดยแบร์นาร์ มาเกรซ เป็นข้อเท็จจริงที่ทั้งเว็บไซต์ทางการของชาโตและเว็บไซต์ทางการฝั่งเจ้าของยืนยันตรงกัน นับจากจุดเปลี่ยนสำคัญนี้ ซึ่งถูกเรียกว่า “การเริ่มต้นใหม่” เวลาก็ผ่านไปแล้วกว่าหนึ่งในสี่ศตวรรษเศษ